Trump warns Iran’s partners of ‘tremendous’ economic punishment
Trump said the US was launching what he called a major effort to target Iran’s economy. The move comes amid growing tensions in the region and uncertainty over the future of the conflict.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump announced what he described as the “MOST CRUSHING ECONOMIC OPERATION EVER TAKEN AGAINST ANY COUNTRY!” He said the campaign would involve economic warfare and unprecedented isolation.
Trump warned that countries allowing their financial institutions, businesses, airports or government bodies to support Iran would face “TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences.”
No one has given the Islamic Republic of Iran a greater opportunity to make a Deal than me. TRAGICALLY, for them, they have failed to take it. Therefore, today, I am announcing the MOST CRUSHING ECONOMIC OPERATION EVER TAKEN AGAINST ANY COUNTRY! This will be Economic Warfare and… pic.twitter.com/1CsO5S1KOy
— Commentary Donald J. Trump Truth Social Posts On X (@TrumpTruthOnX) August 19, 2026
The warning adds another layer to the US Iran conflict, which has continued for months with no clear end in sight. The latest Iran economic sanctions threat could also put pressure on countries that maintain trade links with Tehran.
Trump did not explain exactly what measures would be imposed on countries helping Iran. He also did not name any country other than Iran.
He called for an immediate end to activities including oil smuggling, swap lines, cash transfers, exchange houses, ship registries and front companies.
Pressure on Iran grows
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent had earlier said Washington would increase efforts to isolate Iran economically. He described the plan as part of a wider strategy involving economic pressure and a US naval blockade.
Read Also: Trump delays 50% Canada tariffs as last-minute deal raises hopes
The United States has already imposed several Iran economic sanctions under a campaign known as Operation Economic Fury. The campaign aims to restrict Iran’s access to financial resources and reduce its ability to fund the war.
The latest Trump economic punishment threat could expand that pressure beyond Iran itself. Countries and companies doing business with Tehran may now face greater uncertainty over their financial activities.
The development also comes as the US Iran conflict continues to affect regional trade. The Strait of Hormuz remains a major concern because it is a key route for international oil shipments.
Iran remains defiant
Iran has continued to resist US pressure after months of military operations. Tehran has used missiles and drones during the conflict, while the disruption has severely reduced shipping through the Strait of Hormuz.
The US Iran conflict began on February 28 with US-Israeli attacks on Iran. Tehran responded with missile and drone strikes across the region.
Trump has said US forces are helping ships pass through the Strait. Reports indicate that 15 to 20 ships have recently been assisted each night, although traffic remains below pre-war levels.
The situation became more tense after Trump suggested that the Strait could become a “NEW U.S. Territory.” Although both sides have acknowledged that messages were being exchanged, Trump later said talks were off.
Read Also: UAE halts trade, financial transactions with Iran after missile attack
The UAE has also announced a suspension of economic dealings with Iran after saying it was targeted by ballistic missiles.
The latest Iran economic sanctions threat could therefore have consequences beyond Tehran. If more countries reduce trade with Iran, the economic pressure could increase significantly.
For Iran, the challenge is now not only military but also financial. Meanwhile, Trump’s latest Trump economic punishment warning suggests Washington is preparing to make that pressure even stronger.