Imran Khan may avoid army clash if freed, close aide says
A close aide to jailed former prime minister Imran Khan has signalled a possible change in Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s approach towards the military leadership.
Zulfikar Bukhari, a PTI spokesperson and one of Khan’s close aides, told Reuters that Khan would not confront Army Chief Field Marshal Asim Munir if he were released.
The comments came shortly after the Supreme Court ordered authorities to move Khan from prison to a private hospital for medical treatment. The development has raised fresh hopes of easing the long-running political tensions between PTI and the military.
Bukhari signals possible reconciliation
Bukhari described Khan as someone who would not take an action that could harm Pakistan if released.
He said Khan could choose to control his anger and personal pain for the sake of the country instead of entering into a confrontation with the military leadership.
“If Imran Khan was released tomorrow, hypothetically, he wouldn’t do anything that would effectively damage the country,” Bukhari said.
He added that avoiding confrontation would mean controlling personal hurt and making difficult choices for the country’s benefit.
Bukhari also described Munir as someone who could potentially extend a “healing hand” towards the country and help reduce political tensions.
The comments represent a noticeable change in tone because PTI supporters have strongly criticised Munir for years and blamed the military leadership for Khan’s imprisonment.
The military has previously denied interfering in politics, while the government has maintained that Khan’s legal cases are matters for the courts.
Supreme Court order creates new political moment
The comments followed the Supreme Court’s decision to order Khan’s transfer from prison to a private hospital for treatment.
The court directed that Khan, who is 73, be moved from Adiala Jail and placed under medical care. Analysts viewed the ruling as a possible opportunity for reducing tensions, although it did not represent a political settlement between PTI and the military.
Bukhari described the court decision as a “new ray of hope”. He also said PTI would respect the court’s direction that party workers and leaders should not gather outside the hospital.
However, the political situation remained uncertain. At the time of the Reuters report, questions remained over whether the government would challenge the court’s decision again.
The government had already questioned the hospital-transfer ruling, arguing that existing prison procedures and government medical facilities should be considered.
Khan’s own position remains unclear
Despite Bukhari’s comments, there is no recent direct statement from Khan confirming that he would adopt the same approach.
Reuters reported that PTI leaders had not spoken directly with Khan for around eight months, according to Bukhari.
Khan has remained in prison since 2023 and has previously made strong statements against the military leadership. His past comments included harsh criticism of Munir and accusations concerning his treatment and imprisonment.
Bukhari’s comments therefore do not necessarily represent a confirmed change in Khan’s personal position.
Analysts have also questioned whether PTI’s leadership, much of which has faced arrests or gone into hiding, has enough organisational strength to negotiate effectively with the state while Khan remains imprisoned.
Also Read:Imran Khan may be sent abroad for medical treatment if needed, govt says
PTI will still hold September protest
Despite the softer language towards the military, Bukhari said PTI would continue with its planned nationwide protest march on September 27.
The party plans to demand Khan’s release and the implementation of court orders concerning his medical treatment.
PTI also wants greater access for Khan’s family, doctors, lawyers and party leaders, along with faster hearings in his legal cases.
Bukhari said senior PTI figures who have remained in hiding could return and help organise the protest.
“You’ll probably see a lot of leadership come out of hiding,” he said, adding that even those who remain away from public view could help mobilise supporters.
This means the party is sending two messages at the same time: it is showing greater willingness to reduce tensions with the military while continuing political pressure for Khan’s release.
A major shift after years of confrontation
Khan’s relationship with Pakistan’s military leadership has been one of the central issues in the country’s politics since his government was removed through a parliamentary no-confidence vote in 2022.
After losing power, Khan repeatedly criticised the military and accused the establishment of targeting him and his party. Authorities have rejected accusations that his legal cases are politically motivated.
Reuters reported that most of Khan’s convictions have either been suspended or overturned, with appeals still pending, while he continues to face legal proceedings. Khan denies wrongdoing.
The latest statements suggest PTI may be considering a less confrontational political strategy.
However, the planned September 27 mobilisation shows that the party is not abandoning its demands.