
The figures include children who were reportedly killed or wounded when the surgical department of Al Nasser Hospital, in southern Gaza, was hit in an attack on March 23, the UN children’s agency said in a statement, according to AFP
Unicef said most of these children were displaced, and sheltering in makeshift tents or damaged homes.
“The ceasefire in Gaza provided a desperately needed lifeline for Gaza’s children and hope for a path to recovery,” said Unicef Executive Director Catherine Russell.
“But children have again been plunged into a cycle of deadly violence and deprivation.”
Russell added: “All parties must adhere to their obligations under international humanitarian law to protect children.”
Meanwhile, Reuters reported that 15 emergency and aid workers from the Red Crescent, Palestinian Civil Defense and the United Nations have been recovered from a grave in the sand in the south of the Gaza Strip, UN officials said.
UN aid chief Tom Fletcher said in a post on X that the bodies were buried near "wrecked & well-marked vehicles," adding: "They were killed by Israeli forces while trying to save lives. We demand answers & justice."
Israel s military did not comment directly on the deaths of the Red Crescent workers.
In a later statement to Reuters, it said that it had facilitated the evacuation of the bodies from the area, which it described as an active combat zone. It did not specifically respond to questions about why the bodies were retrieved beneath the sand nor why the vehicles were found crushed.
Philippe Lazzarini, head of the U.N. agency for Palestinian Refugees (UNRWA), said on social media platform X that the bodies had been "discarded in shallow graves - a profound violation of human dignity".
Lazzarini said the deaths brought the total number of aid workers killed since the onset of the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza to 408.
In a statement late on Sunday, the International Committee of the Red Cross said it was "appalled" at the deaths.
"Their bodies were identified today and have been recovered for dignified burial. These staff and volunteers were risking their own lives to provide support to others," it said.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) said one worker from the nine-strong Red Crescent group was still unaccounted for. It did not immediately comment on the details of the site where the bodies were found. The group went missing on March 23 to tend to the injured in Rafah, after Israel resumed an all-out offensive against Hamas.
The Palestine Red Crescent said it also recovered the bodies of six civil defence members and one U.N. employee from the same area. It said Israeli forces had targeted the workers. Red Cross statements did not apportion blame for the attacks.
The Israeli military said on Monday that an inquiry had found that on March 23, troops opened fire on a group of vehicles that included ambulances and fire trucks when the vehicles approached a position without prior coordination and without headlights or emergency signals.
It said several militants belonging to Hamas and Islamic Jihad were killed.
"The IDF condemns the repeated use of civilian infrastructure by the terrorist organizations in the Gaza Strip, including the use of medical facilities and ambulances for terrorist purposes," it said in a statement.



