A Tunisian appeals court issued heavy sentences against politicians, lawyers and business figures, intensifying concerns over President Kais Saied’s growing control over state institutions. The case has become one of the most talked-about political trials in the nation’s recent history.
According to court documents, a total of forty individuals were charged with conspiracy to overthrow the president. This group included well-known public figures who had been critical of the government’s actions in recent years.
Out of the forty accused, twenty had already left the country. These individuals were sentenced in absentia, adding further tension to the already heated political climate.
Critics argue that the verdict reflects what they describe as an increasingly authoritarian approach by President Saied. They warn that such steps may silence political opposition and reduce space for democratic debate.
Read more: Southeast Asia flood deaths reach 321; Sri Lank cyclone kills 46
Analysts say the harsh sentences show how fast Tunisia’s politics are changing. They believe the case could weaken trust in state institutions. Many experts think this verdict may push the country further away from democratic norms. Some say the government is using the courts to control its critics, which could lead to deeper political unrest.
The sentences ranged from five to 45 years, according to a court document seen by Reuters.
Rights groups, such as Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International, said the case is an escalation of Saied's crackdown on dissent since he seized extraordinary powers in 2021. Critics, journalists and activists have been jailed and independent NGOs suspended.
"This is a judicial farce… There is a clear intent to eliminate political opponents," Mokthar Jmai, a lawyer for the defendants, said on Thursday after the trial.
Authorities say the defendants, who include former officials and the former head of intelligence, Kamel Guizani, tried to destabilise the country and overthrow Saied.
Prominent opposition figures including Ghazi Chaouachi, Issam Chebbi, Jawahar Ben Mbarek and Ridha Belhaj, received jail terms of 20 years, another lawyer for the defendants, Dalila ben Mbarek, said. Politician Noureddine Bhiri was sentenced to ten years in prison.
They have all been in custody since being detained in 2023.
The prominent opposition figure Chaima Issa, was sentenced to 20 years, Nejib Chebbi, the leader of the main National Salvation Front opposition coalition, received 12 years, and Ayachi Hammami got five years.
The three are currently free, but authorities are expected to enforce their arrest.
The maximum sentence was 45 years for businessman Kamel Ltaif, while opposition politician Khyam Turki received a 35-year sentence.
Rights groups say Saied has controlled the judiciary since dissolving parliament in 2021, ruling by decree, dissolving the independent Supreme Judicial Council and sacking dozens of judges in 2022.
Opposition leaders say the prosecution is fabricated and accused the president of carrying out a political purge. They say they plan to unite the fragmented opposition against the democratic setback.
In 2023, Saied said the politicians were "traitors and terrorists" and that judges who would acquit them were their accomplices.