Weather Alert: Heavy Rainfall and Potential Landslides Expected in Northern Pakistan
Weather Alert: (Web Desk) Heavy Rainfall and Potential Landslides Expected in Northern Pakistan
The weather outlook for the period from Saturday to Tuesday suggests that moderate to heavy rainfall may lead to increased water flows in local nullahs/streams and potentially trigger landslides in the vulnerable regions of Kashmir, Gilgit Baltistan, Chitral, Dir, Swat, Kohistan, Shangla, Buner, Mansehra, and Abbottabad.
Synoptic Situation: An approaching westerly wave is currently impacting the upper parts of the country.
On this day, residents in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Islamabad, upper Punjab, Gilgit-Baltistan, and Kashmir should prepare for a windstorm and rain-thunderstorm. Snowfall is anticipated over high mountains, and isolated hailstorms may occur in plain areas. Moreover, heavy rainfall is expected in Kashmir, Gilgit Baltistan, upper Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and the Pothohar region. However, dry weather conditions are likely to persist in other parts of the country.
The weather pattern on Sunday mirrors that of Saturday. Expect windstorms, rain-thunderstorms, snow over high mountains, and isolated hailstorms in the aforementioned regions. Heavy rainfall is also anticipated in Kashmir, Gilgit Baltistan, upper Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and upper Punjab. The rest of the country will experience dry weather conditions.
Past 24-Hour Weather:
Over the last 24 hours, the following weather events were recorded:
- Rain-thunderstorms occurred in upper Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, upper Punjab, Islamabad, Kashmir, and Gilgit Baltistan.
- Dry weather conditions were reported in the remaining regions of the country.
Rainfall (in millimeters) in the Past 24 Hours:
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa: Cherat 52, Pattan 31, Mardan 17, Peshawar (City 08, Airport 02), Kakul, Saidu Sharif 05, Kalam, Malam Jabba 04, Bacha Khan Airport 02, Mir Khani, Upper Dir 01.
- Punjab: Jhelum, Mangla 25, Mandi Bahauddin 14, Attock 07, Sialkot (Airport 07, City 02), Islamabad (Zero Point 02, Airport, Bokra 01), Rawalpindi (Chaklala 02, Shamsabad, Kachehri 01).
- Gilgit-Baltistan: Babusar 15, Astore 10, Bagrote 04, Chilas 03, Bunji, Skardu 01.
- Kashmir: Garhi Dupatta 06, Muzaffarabad (City 06, Airport 05), Rawalakot 02, and Kotli 01.
Yesterday’s Recorded Highest Maximum Temperatures (°C): Dadu and Shaheed Benazirabad recorded a maximum temperature of 41°C.
Stay informed and take necessary precautions in the affected areas to ensure safety during this period of potentially severe weather conditions.