Why SC rejects Imran Khan’s criminal petitions – Reasons revealed in verdict
Supreme Court says Imran Khan criminal petitions no longer valid, shifts focus to high court. File photo
Supreme Court says Imran Khan criminal petitions no longer valid, shifts focus to high court. File photo
(Web Desk): The Supreme Court of Pakistan has declared former prime minister Imran Khan’s three criminal petitions infructuous and adjourns case indefinitely.

The apex court held that the matter is already pending before the high court. The Supreme Court of Pakistan declared three criminal petitions as infructuous, meaning they are no longer effective. The court also adjourned the petitions indefinitely, shifting the focus to the high court where his appeal is currently under review.

A two member bench, headed by Chief Justice Yahya Afridi and Justice Shahid Bilal Hassan, issued the detailed written judgment after hearing the case. The court explained that since the trial court had already given its final judgment and that decision is under challenge in the high court, all legal objections should now be raised there instead of the Supreme Court.

These three petitions were connected to the same criminal case filed by the Election Commission of Pakistan through the District Election Commissioner Islamabad. Although each petition challenged different legal issues, they were all part of the same trial proceedings.

In one petition, Imran Khan had challenged legal issues such as jurisdiction and limitation, but those objections were rejected. In another petition, he had objected to the court’s refusal to summon certain witnesses, while the third petition challenged the rejection of his request to transfer the case to another court.

However, the Supreme Court said these interim matters lost their importance after the trial court announced its final judgment on August 5, 2023. Since that judgment is already being challenged in the high court, the Supreme Court ruled that these petitions are no longer necessary.

The court also reviewed reports about Imran Khan’s jail conditions. Officials from Central Jail Rawalpindi and amicus curiae Barrister Salman Safdar submitted reports confirming that his accommodation, food, security and medical facilities were satisfactory. The court noted that Imran Khan himself had expressed satisfaction with these arrangements.

However, concern was raised about his eye health. The Attorney General assured the court that a medical board of eye specialists would conduct an immediate examination to ensure proper treatment.

Read more: Imran Khan medical report released after special medical board examination

The court further noted recommendations allowing Imran Khan to contact his sons Suleman Khan and Qasim Khan, who live in the United Kingdom, and to receive books according to jail rules. The Attorney General assured full cooperation in this matter.

The Supreme Court clarified that the petitions may be heard again only after the high court decides the pending appeal. Until then, Imran Khan has been advised to approach the high court first if he has any legal complaints.

This decision shifts the main legal battle to the high court. The Supreme Court did not reject his appeal completely but paused these petitions. The high court’s decision will now become very important. This could shape the future direction of his legal cases.